high school never ends

I had a really great time last Sunday with my friends back in high school. Actually, they are friends since junior year and we call our group Tropang Group One or (TG1) because our friendship was established when our Home Economics professor asked us to group ourselves. The ten of us ended up together for the rest of the junior year. I must admit, a great deal of things have changed. It doesn't surprise me that we still go back to our stories back in high school over and over again. I always had fun reading their letters to me every time I scan my letterbox and reminding them on meetings of their mushiness back in high school. We would always bring up topics about past crushes and teasing each other who was crazy over who, who cried over what, and who defecated where. I guess it's normal since there have been new sets of friends, all we could do is tell stories which everyone can relate to. I had so much fun spending time with them listening to their stories and discovering how much of a changed person some of my friends are. However, it was just kind of sad to think that I have stories that I couldn't tell. Well, the closest person whom I could talk to about my recent endeavours would be Mon since he still belonged to my sets of college friends. For others, though, I had to spend a full 30 minutes with each one of them just so I could be updated with his or her current endeavours. Of course, it was not enough. I have missed a lot of my friends' stories and vice versa which I find quite frustrating. There are a lot of things I want to share but some gap is restricting me to do so.

Then I realized this is how high school goes. We have different lives now. Back in high school, all we talk about were family problems, crushes, teachers, fellow classmates, and other superficial issues like how the star section was more prioritized than us, academically mediocre but extremely interesting students. Not that I think the students from the star section were boring. I just think the lower, non-prioritized, and underestimated sections have more fun and interesting stories to tell. We've got more humiliating stories to reveal and hilarious moments to share. Don't fret. It's merely my own self-absorbed opinion. Going back, I realized I should feel fortunate that I still have the chance to spend time with my old friends and at the same time meet new friends in the persona of old classmates and batchmates whom I never really got the chance to hang out with before.

I guess we'll really never know how our friendship would end up in the future. Who would still be regularly present on get-togethers? Who would introduce a new boyfriend or girlfriend? Or even the simple question of "Are we all going to stay friends forever?" Of course, we are. Our friendship was founded not only on laughters but also on heartbreaking experiences and numerous fights. I even wrote a chic-lit type of story about our group in 3rd year which unfortunately I did not have the chance to finish (some of them have read it and encouraged me to finish it until our high school graduation). Nonetheless, I wish I could tell them more about how my life has changed too--tell them more than just lovelife issues or recent high school gossips. I guess I'll just have to wait 'til the invisible communication gap will be filled with more time with them. I guess I just missed them so much.

4 comments:

honey said...

maybe things changed more than you think they did... but there is one thing that will never ever change until the end time... "our friendship" and yeah, another thing... you never failed to make me cry! as i look back the moment we've been friends, i realized you guys have more than meets the eye... i'm sorry if i don't have enough time to listen to your stories again, i won't promise but i'll try... hope to catch up with you again & hopefully next time TG1 is really complete... :)

Claudine Claudio said...

hehe thanks for the comment, honey! namiss ko ang mga pag-eexchange natin ng mga deepest secrets sa classroom. haha! adik ka, babaw ng luha mo di naman nakakaiyak to. hehe it's a good thing kahit puro kapalpakan nung high school, we still had the best memories! :-)

jake c. said...

I'm very fortunate to have friends like them.... from those old years until now.... they make it to a point na magkitakita talaga... haaaaaay ako lang ata ang laging WALA...(ako nga lang ba?) However, I still treasure the memoires of each member of the group and will continue to do so....

Claudine Claudio said...

oo jake ikaw ang laging wala. at least yung iba nakakapunta kahit isang beses o late. adik ka, di mo ba kami namimiss? lalaking lalaki na si argel. mapogi na sya. hehehe! miss ka na namin! ..at ni bebe. haha joke!