Teddy Bear's Poem...

Teddy, I've been bad again,
My Mommy told me so;
I'm not quite sure what I did wrong,
But I thought that you might know.

When I woke up this morning,
I knew that she was mad;
Cause she was crying awful hard,
And yelling at my dad.

I tried my best to be real good,
And do just what she said;
I cleaned my room all by myself,
I even made my bed.

But I spilled milk on my good shirt,
When she yelled at me to hurry;
And I guess she didn't hear me,
When I told her I was sorry.

Cause she hit me awful hard, you see,
And called me funny names;
And told me I was really bad,
And I should be ashamed!

When I said, "I love you, Mommy,
"I guess she didn't understand;
Cause she yelled at me to shut my mouth.
Or I'd get smacked again.

So I came up here to talk to you,
Please tell me what to do;
Cause I really love my Mommy,
And I know she loves me, too.

And I don't think my Mommy means,
To hit me quite so hard;
I guess sometimes, grown ups forget.
How really big they are!

So Teddy, I wish you were real,
And you weren't just a bear;
Then you could help me find a way.
To tell Mommies every where.

To please try hard to understand.
How sad it makes us feel;
Cause the outside pain soon goes a way,
But the inside never heals!

And if we could make them listen,
Maybe then they'd understand;
So other children just like me,
Wouldn't have to hurt again.

But for now, I guess I'll hold you tight,
And pretend the pain's not there;
I know you'd never hurt me,
So Goodnight, Teddy Bear!

--Author unknown


No, I didn't write this poem... But do you agree with me, it's sad? I came across this poem when I was researching for my article "Multiple Personality Disorder" (Dissociative Identity Disorder). MPD/DID is a psychiatric disorder which has always tickled my curiosity and interest. Not that I have one! Though, some of my close friends keep insisting I do have MPD/DID. But come on, I may show a variety of personalities in front of different people but that's my point, they're "different people" and so, I'm trying to fit in their "different" preferences. Well, sometimes I can't see the real me too. But that's not MPD! My gosh!

Enough about my own disorder. Let's talk about the real disorder. Multiple Pesonality Disorder or now changed by DSM-IV as Dissociative Identity Disorder is a psychiatric disorder characterized by having at least one "alter" personality that controls behavior. [Fine, I took that line from an MPD site.]

Anyway, I'm not really posting this to discuss MPD/DID. I've had so much of that last semester on one of my subjects. I just like to post this poem because it really struck me hard. I mean, come on, many can relate to "teddy bear's" poem right? I guess, what my real point is, I'd like to open every parents' mind and let them be aware of their children's sensitivity. 'Coz most mental disorders today are caused by childhood abuse and violence...

Mon Dieu, can somebody vote me for president?!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Teddy Bears Poem is indeed agood heart tugger. for more of the same type which exemplifies your thoughts, please feel free to visit http://www.keeperskorner.com
It is my wifes site and she happens to be MPD/DID, and yes, parents do shape and influecne their childrens psyche so very much and need to be aware of their influence.

Good blog, good insight, good heart.

Best wishes

john w